Using Face, you can quickly make a virtual copy of a channel, regardless of whether it holds raw or calculated data. One of the many reasons one may do this is to make a display channel nameThe Site / Channel name displayed in FlowWorks on the Map View, in Graphing, Reporting and other Site selection lists within the FlowWorks interface. This is not necessairly the same as the 'Internal Name,' which is used to identify the packets of data arriving at FlowWorks to be associated with this Site / Channel., when the internal channel nameThe Site / Channel name displayed in FlowWorks on the Map View, in Graphing, Reporting and other Site selection lists within the FlowWorks interface. This is not necessairly the same as the 'Internal Name,' which is used to identify the packets of data arriving at FlowWorks to be associated with this Site / Channel. (given by the data logger) is convoluted and hard to recognize, and logger(s) does not support name alterations.
Please see article "Internal vs. Display Name" for clarification on the two types names.
The process for copying a Channel is twofold:
Start by creating a Calculated Channel. Once complete, you will need to proceed to step 2 (which is discussed in this topic).
Note: It is in this process that you will specify the desired Channel name.
- Configure a FACE formula calculation that commands the system to simply copy the data in from the original Channel (read below).
Important: These instructions are a continuation from the topic, "Creating a Calculated Channel". From step one, it is assumed that you are back at the Configure Sites Page, after having completed setup of a new Calculated Channel.
To configure FACE to copy data in from another Channel:
Note: No action is required for the Choose Channel option.
- Click . This will direct you to the respective page, where summarizing information on the Calculated Channel is displayed.
- Click . This will take you to the page where you will configure the calculation. This page has three distinct sections - the following steps take you through each part, beginning from the top of the page.
- Provide a Calculation Name and Description (both are optional).
- For Calculation Type, select Formula.
- Ignore Start Date and End Date. We want this Channel to be filled with data points for the entire data stream we have available.
- Choose the Source Component. This is going to be the Channel you want to copy data from.
- Leave Choose Lookup Table blank.
- Type just the Source Component's Variable Name into the Define Equation box. This tells the system to simply copy over the data, and nothing else.
- Click . You will be directed back to the View Calculated Channels page, where the new calculation will appear in a list.
Now, you can use this new Virtual Channel in FlowWorks' tools, in lieu of the source Channel, to make it easier for you and your audience to decipher Channels in Graphs, reports, maps, etc.