Welcome to the help library for the FlowWorks application. This help library has been compiled to provide comprehensive documentation for using all aspects of FlowWorks. The goal of this library is to facilitate in orienting all types of users to the utility, function and general usability of FlowWorks' tools. FlowWorks' users include those who conduct various types of analysis and reporting related to environmental monitoring.
FlowWorks is a powerful web-based solution for gathering, analyzing and understanding all environmental data related to water, waste water, rainfall, climate, stream flow and industrial facilities. Use FlowWorks to track monitoring stations in real-time, set and manage alarm notifications, store and edit data, graph and compare past and present readings against other stations, analyze rainfall, stream, flow and sewer data, and publish the information anywhere.
The process of using FlowWorks begins when a municipality, county, sewer district, engineering firm, etc. puts a measurement / recording device into a storm drain, sewer pipe, stream, and the like, and that meter / data-logger begins collecting data.
Typically these instruments consist of one or more measuring “meters” connected to a data recording device or “data logger”. The meter sends a constant stream of readings to the logger and the logger is programmed to pick out of this stream a reading at a preset time frame, or the meter can be programed to send a reading to the logger every x-minutes and the logger records whatever is received. In either case, this is where the data-collection process begins; the important bit here is that the time and date (“time / date stamp”) of the reading is associated with specific data.
There are a number of manufacturing companies around the world that specialize in data loggers, with the prominent names in the field being Telog, ADS, ISCO, and Hach.
FlowWorks is a powerful web-based suite of monitoring, analysis and reporting tools enabling you to efficiently manage all of your monitoring systems. FlowWorks consolidates data allowing you to perform real-time analysis, check flow monitoring status and set alarms through a single interface, transforming raw data into actionable information.
From the FlowWorks point of view, it does not matter the type of data-loggers you use. There are only two rules:
- You must be able to transfer data via the Internet to FlowWorks, either by wireless modem, Ethernet connection, dial-up connections or even manually retrieving the data and then ftp’ing it.
- The data needs to follow a consistent format so our servers can “read” the incoming data to A) associate the file to a client and B) successfully parse the data into the database format which permits the reporting and analysis tools to work.
FlowWorks gets your data, usually in one of three methods:
- Via your data-logger, which is programmed to "call-in" on a set schedule. Whether it be every hour, once a day, or once a week - it sends your data in a packet to the FlowWorks Internet IP address. Remember, more calls mean a shorter battery-life hence more trips out to replace batteries.
- Via your data-logger, which is programmed to “answer calls.” The FlowWorks platform is programmed on a set schedule to reach out to the IP address of your data logger and request the data stored therein be forwarded to FlowWorks.
- Via an intervening system which collects the data, builds a formatted file and then the file is manually or with an automated program, sent to the FlowWorks FTP server where you login and copy the file into a folder reserved for your use.
Once the data is received by a FlowWorks “listener” (a program which watches for incoming data), it is authenticated, the data format is verified, and then the data is parsed into the database structure. Included in this process is testing the data for preset alarm conditions and if present communications are initiated.
Once the data is placed into the FlowWorks database structure, it is ready to be used within the FlowWorks monitoring, analysis and reporting tools transforming raw data into actionable information, helping you make decisions.
All Data > In One Place > Easily
- Flexible. Real-time, manual, historic, USGS, NOAA, wireless, satellite - it doesn't matter where your data originates. You can connect it to FlowWorks.
- Affordable. We provide a full-access data collection and flow analysis solution for a low monthly fee, with no contractual obligation.
- Hardware Neutral. FlowWorks automatically links to leading brands of data loggers and SCADA systems including ADS, Hach/Sigma, Isco, Detectronic, Telog, Unidata, Campbell Scientific, iFIX/iHISTORIAN, Wonderware and much more.
- Hassle Free. With FlowWorks, there is no software to install, no extra hardware to maintain, no patches to download, and no annual maintenance fees to pay.
...a better way to manage your data
FlowWorks' Support and Resource Center
FlowWorks includes a web-based portal that provides access to a host of help resources, including a knowledge base, community forum, and an easy way to reach our Support team.
Click here to view our Support Center.
Click here to submit a new support ticket.