Users are assigned roles that dictate their access to certain tools and functionalities in FlowWorks. There are up to five possible roles that a user can be assigned: Demo, Read-only User, User, Group Administrator and Site Configuration Admin. Each User Role comes with its own set of capabilities. This article describes how you can change or check a user's assigned role(s).
Only Group Administrators can view and modify a user's roles.
Please review About User Roles and Security Groups before you make any changes to a user's account.
Note: only Group Administrators can view and modify User Roles.
Users are assigned roles which outline the sets of functionality and tools they can use within the application.
There are four role-types that users can be assigned as: Demo, Read-only User, User and Group Administrator. Each User Role comes with its own set of capabilities.
Important notes about User Roles
- User Roles do not inherit the roles of User Types below them. Hence, the role of a Group Administrator does not automatically include the role of a User. For a Group Administrator to be fully capable of using/managing all functions in FlowWorks, she must also be given the additional role of User. This ‘quark’ enables greater flexibility for security and access.
- With that said, it is also possible to create a user with a ‘Group Administrator’ role-type, who not also having the ‘User’ role-type, could only create and manage other accounts but could not use the FlowWorks platform. Hence, for full capabilities it is imperative that those assigned the Group Administrator role also be given the role of User.
Types of User Roles
The chart below describes the different types of roles that can be assigned to FlowWorks users. Remember, a user can be assigned more than one of these roles for accessibility to more features and control.
For further details on each role-type, see "About User Roles and Security Groups".
To modify (or check) a user’s Role
- Upon logging in, hover your mouse over Management in the main toolbar. A drop-down menu will appear.
- Click Administration to navigate to the User List, a tabulation of all users within your client-base.
- Locate the user you wish to modify/check, from the User List. You can either use the ‘Search User’ function from the top of the page, or manually browse through the User List to find who you are looking for.
Click Edit, to the left of the username you wish to view. This will navigate you to the Existing User page, where the selected user’s account information and permission summary are displayed.
- Find the Roles ‘block’, under User Information. From here, you can view the user’s existing roles.
Check/uncheck any roles that are appropriate for the selected user.
Note: The features of a single user roles are not inherited to other roles. I.e., the role of a Group Administrator does not automatically include the role of a User. Thus, for a Group Administrator to be fully capable of using/managing all functions in FlowWorks, she must also be given the additional role of User.
- Click . The Existing User page will refresh with a prompt confirming that the user was saved successfully.
We are here to help you! Please open a new support ticket to quickly get in touch with FlowWorks support!